Are you facing serious data losses? Just check out how much data does spotify, Apple Music and any other music streaming service consumes and how to reduce it?
Hello guys, recently I have seen lot of people having trouble of excessive data usage, while streaming music online. The forums are filled with the discussions like How much data does Spotify use?, How much data does Apple music use?, how much data does music streaming sites use? and few other similar questions below :-
- Does Spotify use data?
- How much data Does Apple Music use?
- Does Apple consume more data than android on Spotify app?
Then I did a little research in few related forums and customer supports and came up with some results. So baically in this article I will show you simple maths of data usage while, streaming music online, and tell you few ways how to reduce it. So if you are facing this problem, the article will certainly help you and if it does, do share it with your friends. Now lets get started!
Maths Behind Your Online Music Data Consumption (How much data they actually use?)
Generally, both Spotify and Apple (and even Google Play Music), offers you 3 formats of tracks Normal Quality [96 kb/sec], High Quality [160 kb/sec] and Extremely High Quality [320 kb/sec], where “kb/sec” is kilobits per second , which means that, the format is using 96 X 1000 bits each second you stream it. Lets break it in simple words.
- While streaming music tracks in Normal Quality (96 kb/sec), you will consume around 42 Mb (Megabyte) of data in 1 hour. Or to make it more easier for you, with 1 GB of data, you can stream music for upto 24 hours!
- With High Quality (160 kb/sec) tracks, you will consume around 70 Mb from your internet pack per hour. Which also means that, with 1 Gb of data, you can stream your favorite tracks for 14.5 hours.
- Now for Extremely High Quality (320 kb/sec) music streaming, around 140 Mb of data is required for each hour. Which means in 1 Gb of data, you can stream for around 7.5 hours.
This is the basic usage of your online music streaming, but along with this there are few more things which consume some data, like your search for any particular track or a playlist. Advertisements popups, both audio and visual (generally comes with Spotify Free Service). But they consume very less data comparatively.
How Can I Reduce my Internet Data Consumption While streaming?
- Switch to Normal Quality While Listen With Mobile Data :- As you can see in the above calculation, that the data usage reduces upto 3.33 times in Normal quality as compared to Extremely High Quality. Although with High Quality also you will get your data consumption reduced by 2 times than Extremely High.
- Download and use in Offline Mode :- The next thing you can do is, download the tracks you want listen, as long as you are using a wifi connection. Both the services, Spotify Premium and iTunes allows its users to download tracks and listen offline.
- Disable Automatic Downloads :- This is only for the Apple Music Users, as when you buy any music from iTunes on one of your device, it will automatically gets downloaded in your connected mobiles and tablets, using your cellular data.
So guys by implementing these steps, you can easily save a lot of your precious mobile data. While both the services automatically reduce your tracks quality (only when you are using cellular data, not with wifi), depending on your connection. With an Apple device, you can also track your data usage and figure out How much data does Spotify use? or How much data does Apple Music use? (Settings>Cellurar Data>Spotify)
One more thing I want to mention here for those who listen a lot of music using their mobile, it doesn’t matter much, in which quality you listen your music as all the quality sound the same (until you are a professional or using a high end device for listening).
Stream unlimited Music with T-Mobile- Without any Data Charges!
T-Mobile is a popular Telecom services provider which has this good scheme for all the music lovers out there. T-Mobile has a plan called Freedom Music, with which you can stream unlimited music, and they wont charge you anything, your current data pack wont be affected. The offer is valid for all the big music streaming portals like Spotify, Apple Music, Sound Cloud, Goolgle Play Music and more.
How much data does spotify use in advertisements ?
As you may already know that Spotify offers both free and paid service, with free service you can stream unlimited music (not same for every country) with the trade of visual and audio advertisements popups, every couple of songs you listen. While the Premium service ($9.99/ month), is advertisement free and offers a lot of other features like offline listening, downloading, unlimited skips etc.
But as I told you earlier, these advertisements does not consume much of your data, and if you still want to get rid of them, you can use some add blocker apps for spotify. Or you should get a premium account, trust me, its totally worth the money you are paying.
So guys my final piece of advice for all the Spotify, Apple Music and any other music streamers is that, keep your preferences to 96 kb/sec, The Normal Quality, as you can see that it consumes 3.33 times less data than The High Quality. You can also use 160 kb/sec, which consumes 2 times less data than, The High Quality.
Here was my answer for How much data does Spotify and Apple Music use?, if you have any other question, or you have any tips to reduce the data usage, please put that in the comment section below.Share your data reduction tips with us.
Also if you think this article was helpful for you and might be helpful for your friends, share with them with just 1 click on your left.